One of the best ways you can help students stay in school is to understand both the challenges they face and possible solutions. The links below provide national research and best practices to help youth reach their potential.
Developing Students' Creative Skills for 21st Century Success
By Jennifer Henderson
Creativity, ingenuity, and innovation are the keys to success in the evolving global economy. To prepare young people for work and life in the 21st century, educators must cultivate students' creativity. Click here for full article.
Black Lives Matter: the Schott 50 State Report on Public Education and Black Males
"The failure to close the opportunity gap, whether at the national, state or local level, not only deprives all of us, our communities and our nation of the talents and potential contributions that these young people have proven they can make and would likely replicate, but also constitutes a grave injustice." Read the full report here.
Putting Middle Grades Students on a Path to Graduation
Middle school can be a tipping point for many youth. Read about what data may indicate if a sixth grader will graduate. Click here for the report.
Frontline: Middle School Moment
Johns Hopkins Researcher Dr. Robert Balfanz has uncovered a series of indicators that he says can predict how likely a student is to drop out of high school: attendance, behavior and course performance, which he describes as the "ABC's." Click here to watch the full episode on Frontline.
Don't Call them Dropouts
Focusing on understanding the experiences of young people who leave high school before graduation, this report is from America’s Promise Alliance and its Center for Promise at Tufts University with support from Target. Read the report here
American Graduate State Report Card
The American Graduate State Report Cards provide summary data for Virginia in three key areas.
- Indicators / Predictors
- Current data on the dropout crisis
- Social and economic benefits of increased graduation rates
Download the Report Card for Virginia here
Civic Marshall Plan State Indices
The Civic Marshall Plan State Indices provide detailed report on each state including metrics on the progress and challenge needed to achieve a 90 percent graduation rate. Download Virginia's State Index here
Annual Update of Building a Grad Nation
The Annual Update of Building a Grad Nation is generated by America's Promise Alliance and provides an analysis of the latest graduation rate data and a comprehensive review on efforts to accelerate student achievement from across the nation. This report features states and school districts that are making significant gains, serving as a challenge that others can too. It also shares promising practices from nonprofits, businesses, media, educational and government institutions across the country. Read the reports here
Resources for Youth
- Alternatives, Inc.
- Breakthrough at Norfolk Academy
- Communities in Schools of Hampton Roads
- eXcel Leadership Academy
- ForKids, Inc.
- Friends of Northampton Schools & Youth (FONSY)
- Horizons Hampton Roads, Inc.
- Junior Achievement of Greater Hampton Roads
- Norfolk State University, The Spartan Crusade for Academic Success
- Norfolk Youth Council
- Opportunity Inc., Youth Career Center of Hampton Roads
- Salvation Army
- The Up Center
- YMCA South Hampton Roads
- Christopher Newport University
- College of William and Mary, Office of Community Engagement and Scholarship
- Hampton Roads Community Foundation
- Hampton Roads Center for Civic Engagement (HRCCE)
- Paul D. Camp Community College
- Thomas Nelson Community College
- United Way of South Hampton Roads
- Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities (VCIC)
- Volunteer Hampton Roads